homeaboutcontactreview policies

Book Review: Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater Title: Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3)

Author: Maggie Stiefvater

400 pages, Published by Scholastic

Maggie’s Information: Website | Twitter

Buy The Book: Amazon

Summary: In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. In Linger, they fought to be together. Now, in Forever, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in. (Summary provided by Scholastic.)

My Thoughts:

I have been waiting for Forever by Maggie Stiefvater to come out ever since I eagerly devoured Shiver and Linger, the first two books in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series, last year. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the series, Forever is the concluding novel in a trilogy of books about teen shapeshifters. The books are part love story, part action adventure, and they are a wonderfully original take on the shapeshifter mythos. If you love YA with lots of teen angst, romance, and action, this is the series for you.

Throughout the course of the series the characters have grown and changed. The most dramatic change probably occurred in Isabel. Her storyline plays a key role in Forever’s plot, and I adore the strong, young woman she has become. I especially enjoyed the progression of Cole from brooding bad boy into a more evolved person fighting to find a cure for the shapeshifter virus. Cole is my favorite character in the series. Although, I freely admit that this probably has something to do with Maggie Stiefvater tweeting a picture of James Franco when people asked her to describe Cole. As always, Sam and Grace’s characters provide the cornerstone for the story to build upon. In the first two books I viewed Sam as a tragic figure, and I was glad to see him emerge as a leader in Forever. All of these descriptions probably sound pretty vague, but I really don’t want to give any of the major plot points away.

The thing I love about The Wolves of Mercy Falls series is that Stiefvater makes the relationships very realistic. Couples don’t fall in love overnight and friendships are far from perfect. Forever left me feeling bittersweet. It was incredibly well-written and entertaining, but as much as I loved Forever, I didn’t want the series to end. I can’t wait to see what Maggie Stiefvater writes next!

~~
Don't miss a thing! Click here to subscribe to Young Adult Smash and here to follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment